Zero Waste Pumpkin Soup
According to Hubbub, a staggering 22 million pumpkins are expected to get thrown away uneaten this Halloween... now that's the real stuff of nightmares!
To combat this horrifying waste of perfectly edible food, check out Kitche's recipe below for a zero waste pumpkin soup. This is a great way to use up your whole pumpkin after you've enjoyed carving it.
- A medium or large pumpkin
- 3 large onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- A sprig of rosemary
- A couple of bay leaves
- Wash, cut in half and gut your pumpkin, make sure you separate the flesh and seeds (you will use them later)
- Crush the garlic and finely chop the onions and add them to the pan, add some oil and simmer them until they are slightly golden
- Chop the remaining pumpkin into large cubes and add them to the large pan with the pulp
- Finely chop you rosemary and add it to the pan with your bay leaves, which you can leave whole
- Add your vegetable stock, make sure all your ingredients are covered
- You can also add coconut milk to make your soup creamier
- Put on your lid and let the pan bring to boil, once bubbling turn the heat down so the soup is simmering (you can sort out your seeds while you are waiting)
- The soup will take at least an hour to cook, make sure the pumpkin skin is soft (this can take a little longer depending on the type of pumpkin)
- Once it is ready remember to take our the bay leaves, add salt and pepper to taste, and use a hand blender to make the soup smooth and creamy, you can add water until it is your desired consistency
- If you are not eating straight away remember you can refrigerate or even freeze it to make it last longer!
What to do with your pumpkin seeds:
The seeds make a great garnish for your soup. Simply lay them out on a baking tray (you might want to remove some excess pulp) and lightly salt them. Or you can get more creative with other seasoning.
They only take 5-10 minutes and burn easily, so check them regularly.
If you don’t fancy seeds on your soup, you can add them to salads and in other dishes!
Ready: 1hr 30 min
If you would like more useful tips, tricks, and recipes to reduce food waste, download the Kitche app for free.